Saturday, March 13, 2010

To Invite or Not to Invite... That is the Question.

So you always hear about those horror-story-weddings, where the fuss about who "could" and "couldn't" be invited escalates into full blown scrimmages. And you think to yourself, please please, may I be one of the lucky ones. May I not turn into Bridezilla and may no one emerge as Gamera.

When it came to wedding invitations, "a small shin-dig" was kinda never going to happen. My mother is Chinese and I spent a good 7 years of my childhood, growing up with my Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. My mum has always encouraged us to understand and appreciate family and our Chinese heritage, so we're pretty close. And besides, who in their right minds doesn't love a good wedding?

So according to my mother's family traditions, it was essential to invite her Brothers & Sisters - all 8 of them in fact! And yes, that included their children. (Note: at this point, I'm nervously twiddling my thumbs, but still holding up a smile). But then my mother points out that it would be rude to invite all her siblings but not my Father's. Oh, did I mention that my Father is Irish, comes from Kilkenny and is also one of 9 children? (Note: I'm actually sweating as I contemplate how I'm going to organise all these relatives when they all pour into Brisbane). Thankfully, my parents downsized when they had kids. I only have 5 siblings.

The real fun part was breaking this news to Craig. But as always, he took my family's craziness in his stride. I think he's used to it by now. When we were on our third date, I had to break the news to him that my Mother just became pregnant with her 6th child. Yes, that was kinda awkward but Aidan, we still love you, hugs & kisses.

Anyway, back to the story. So I ask Craig which of his extended family members we need to invite. But it turns out that his family is the polar opposite of mine and most of his extended family are either too distant or too unwell to make the journey. My mind is spinning as I envisage the wedding list. Clearly, 95% of the wedding party is going to overwhelmingly made up by my side while the other 5% is going to be made up by Craig, his brother Brett, Craig's Mum Olga & Dad Graham, and his sister Kali & family.

Did I mention that our families haven't actually met yet? Since my family are based in Cairns while Craig's family are based down south in Coffs Harbour, there haven't been many opportunities for meet-ups. Can you imagine Craig's Aussie family, meeting my crazy Chinese-Irish family for the first time? I can. And yes, I'm nervous.

Thankfully, Craig's family will be spared the full force of my relies. The majority of my Irish relies weren't able to make the expensive trip to Oz and while I'm sorry they couldn't attend, I understand entirely the financial inconvenience involved in such a venture. So my cousin, Paul, is going to help represent the Irish and I'm looking forward to seeing him, as it's been a good 10 years since we last met. My mother's family are all based in Malaysia so it was easier for them to come to Australia. Last count, there are 11 members coming, which isn't a bad turnout :D

Last count, the guest list was at 66 adults, 4 children and 2 babies. So by Aussie-Chinese-Irish standards, it's pretty modest. And it's going to happen in exactly 28 days. Wish us luck.

Yours truly,
Demi & Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment