Monday, February 22, 2010

Feelin' like Cinderella


So Ladies, I had my final dress fitting on Saturday and you won't believe what I saw in the mirror. I got a glimpse of the big day and I'm absolutely relieved to say that I'm in love with the dress! A small part of my mind has been somewhat neurotic, paranoid that all those pretty pictures in the glossy magazine weren't actually attainable by the ordinary bride. I was having trouble settling my doubts, especially during the hair & make-up trials. My brain was having big issues trying to visualise every-day "Me" transformed into a natural glowing bride. Little did I realise, my missing ingredient was a dress!

And what a dress it is! I went up to Cairns to go dress shopping because I really wanted to do this with my Mum and three sisters. In true Cairns style, the bridal store wasn't in town but an hour's drive south of Cairns, in a small town called Tolga. I never expected to find a bridal bouquet in a remote farm house but it was pretty quaint in its own way. Irene and her girls were fantastic. There was no unnecessary buttering up of the Bride-to-be but frank honesty and a great sense of Aussie humour. It was a lot of fun playing dress-ups but gorgeous dress after dress, I still hadn't found the right one. Mum and I were about to call it quits for the day but then, I noticed one last dress on the rack and seeing as we'd just about tried on every other dress, suggested that we give it a go. The dress hadn't really caught my eye from the beginning because it seemed a little plain on the rack. The first thing that happened when I put on the dress was that my Mum exclaimed, "That's the one!" And I couldn't have agreed more. The A-line dress was a great balance between detailed lace & simplicity - exactly what I had in mind. It isn't disgustingly elaborate but it's got the right amount of class, romance and relaxation. The dress was originally strapless (which I wasn't keen on) but then Irene made my day because it turns out you can order more of the Dress' original lace. She's making me a Bolero (for those of you still slow on the lingo, this is the shoulder jacket you sometimes see over the bridal gowns) which will help to show off my neckline and hide any horrible fleshy spill-overs (Ew). And that's the story of how I found my dress.

Now I'm sorry that I can't show you any pictures (knowing my luck, Craig will accidentally stumble onto the blog) so you're just gonna have to wait till the wedding. However... I couldn't resist showing off the headpiece! This was handmade by Irene's daughter and it's absolutely stunning. I'm really looking forward to wearing it on the day :D So enjoy the eye candy. All you Disney Princesses, eat your heart out!

No comments:

Post a Comment