Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Wedding - Part One

I woke early the morning of my Wedding and while everyone was still sleeping, snuck into my meditation room to start the day. It was really lovely to begin the day with some morning prayers and sitting practice. By the time I finished, I was grounded in the knowledge that the wedding would be about my friends and family coming together in a celebration of love. I reminded myself not to fuss about the things that would inevitably go askew but to go through the day as mindfully as possible. Today would be a great opportunity to care not just for Craig and my family, but also my colleagues and friends who'd looked after me all these years.

Hayley & Erin having breakfast



Little by little, the house came alive as people emerged from shift-made beds. We exchanged stories and jokes over a breakfast of pancakes, Chinese jook & tea. It wasn't long though before us girls headed out the door for the "Bridal Bus" that my siblings, Hayley & Noah had decorated the night before! With Mum as the designated bus driver, we headed for Urbane Hair Design who would be doing our hair for the wedding. Helen, who was doing our make-up, would also be meeting us so in short, it was all happening!

Tomboy Siobhan putting up with all the fussing


Setting my hair


The girls at Urbane hair got started on my sisters, as my hair was being set. I really enjoyed watching my sisters' hair get done as we had opted for each one to choose a hairstyle that would suit each one, rather than the girls all having the same hair style. It was also a powerful reminder that my "little" sisters went quite so little now! At the ages of 13, 15 and 18, they were growing into young women and I just felt so proud of them. During all this, mum was busy taking photos of us girls and chatting with Hayley. But they weren't just allowed to observe. They were getting dolled up too!


Hayley gets some TLC
Mum preparing to look beautiful
With all our hair done after a long hour and a half, we headed back for the house so Helen could finish putting on our make-up. It was lovely sitting on my balcony, chatting casually to Helen as Aidan & Noah relaxed inside playing PS3. It sure didn't feel very stressful at all! And the funny thing was, Mum would sneak by and drop off plates of curry puffs and watermelon, which I had to try and eat without disrupting Helen's beautiful make-up! It was all good fun.

Trying to behave myself for Helen.


But time flew quickly and suddenly, it was time to put on my dress (without messing up the do or the face) and get ready for the photographers. However, there was one little treat before the photographers arrived! Arlene the florist arrived with the flowers! Originally, I'd asked Arlene to something along the lines of a photo I'd seen. In the shot, the bridesmaid each had one bouquet of one kind of white flower, while the bride had a bouquet that consisted of a mix of all the white flowers. Arlene had really taken to this idea but suggested that we try it with colours instead. I really liked this as to me, it represented the vibrant personalities of my sisters and how I had a little something in common with each one. As you can see below, here are the beautiful results. I love Arlene's choice of colours and how it really conveyed a sense of ease and relaxation. So if any of you brides out there are after a friendly, sincere and professional flowers, Arlene is the lady you need to call! I'm 100% happy with her work and I felt her prices were really reasonable.



We didn't have long to savour the flowers. Dave & Karen (from Paton's Photography) arrived at 11.45 and started taking some happy snaps of my family. It then became apparent that April the 11th was going to be a very warm, hot day indeed! Even though we had the air-conditioner going, it was still pretty warm and us girls were taking turns standing in front of the air-con. Never the less, we endured and even had a few laughs as we watched each other getting our photos done. It was really heart-warming to see my family all dressed up and (hopefully!) having a good time.


The boys: Mickey, Aidan & Dad


The girls: Siobhan, Erin, Sharlene, Mum & Me.
After they were satisfied with their shoot, Dave & Karen left for Boulevard Gardens, where Craig and the boys were waiting for their turn. This meant we could have a little break and chill out for a few moments, before it was time to head there ourselves. In accordance with Chinese tradition, I was lead out of the house in a Chinese red umbrella, to protect my marriage from any possible bad luck. You can see Sharlene here doing the honours while Erin helped to mind my train.


Sharlene is shielding me from bad luck with a red umbrella.



Mum had the hardest job, because she was taking the whole Bridal party in a 12 seater bus that we'd hired. The kids had decorated it the evening before and it was now show-time! Mum was a little bit nervous, mostly because she wasn't used to BrisVegas roads or its maniacal drivers. But needless to say, she did a marvellous job and got us there safe and sound, even if it was a wee bit early, hehe. So this is the wind up to the Wedding. Go ahead and read Part Two to find out how it all panned out and also to see more photos!


The very awesome, Chan Bridal Bus.





No comments:

Post a Comment